Ford Shelby Mustang GT500


Kit Number: 85-2623


Scale: 1/12
Size: 420mm
Parts: 130


Zero Paints:
Ford Mustang Shelby – Grabber Blue2


Arduino Nano,
Various LED’s

The Ford Mustang was first manufactured in 1965 and by 2010 it had reached its fifth generation.  It was seen as a Pony Car class car which was defined as a 2 door sporty coupe that was affordable, stylish and appealing to younger drivers. 

Carol Shelby was an American race driver in the 1950’s who won the 1959 Le Mans in a Aston Martin. After he retired from racing he started the Shelby-American company building custom performance variants AC Cobras and the Mustang.

The 2010 Shelby Mustang was powered by a 5.4L supercharged V8 engine  with a top speed of 180mph.

The Kit,

At a scale of 1/12 this kit is large. The body is made from one plastic piece with a separate bonnet to allow the viewing of the engine area. The wheels are pre-sprayed in Chrome as well as the light reflectors and badges. 

The Engine has a fair amount of detail as does the interior of the vehicle. Included on the decal sheet are the body stripes as well as registration plate of various countries.

The Build,

I turned this build into a project by adding electronics into it to give it some lighting.I chose to use varied coloured LEDs to simulate headlights, brake lights, fog lights, indicators and dashboard illumination.

To control the LEDS I used a Arduino Nano which received commands from an Infrared remote controller. My intention was to use the Arduino for more than just turning the LEDs on and off. Therefore it was programmed to run the correct sequence to simulate different scenarios. For example, turning on the headlights from side lights to main beam and off in the right order.

I purchased all the electronic components separately and then soldered them together. After that I drilled holes into the body to glue in the LEDs and hide the Arduino, PCB and wiring.

The Body was painted using Zero Paints colour matched for the Ford Mustang Shelby in Grabber Blue. For a unique customised look to the kit I attempted to recreate a version of the Flag of the United States on the bonnet using an airbrush and Mr Hobby paints.

However, I couldn’t get all of the 50 stars on to it!


This turned into quite a project as it required learning how to program a Arduino. Additionally working out which electronic components to purchase and how to use them. Fortunately the kit itself was easy and I had no build issues. Something a bit different and it was worth the time and effort.